mitabird

2-2.5: Didn't like it

1-1.5: Hated it

SPOILER ALERT!
Magic Triumphs -  Ilona Andrews
After sleeping on this, I've decided to downgrade my rating from 4.5 to 3.5. While I liked the book, I had some issues with it.

When I'm reading an on-going series, I tend not to read the synopsis of each book (as I'm going to read the story, regardless). While it's not made as clear, I was disappointed that the main enemy was Neig and not her father. I felt like the story meandered too long trying to figure out what Neig was and how to defeat him. There was so much focus of this showdown between Kate and her father, and it kind of was an aside to the battle against Neig. Am I happy that Kate didn't kill her father? Yes, it's something she doesn't have to live with. I just wish it had been more epic.

My main issue was the apparent lack of trust between Kate and Curran. Instead of talking with each other about their fears and coming up with possible solutions to combat her father, they both made decisions that could have backfired badly. I felt it was a bit convenient that Curran was eating gods so he could save Kate from herself. It undermines her choices but things could have been avoided if they just had a conversation. I found the whole thing trite and it did not make me happy with either of them. I'm glad most of the crew made it out alive, but with the ways things were left off, it feels unresolved to me and was not a very satisfying conclusion to an otherwise fantastic series.
(show spoiler)